The Vienna BioCenter is a leading life science location in Europe: a thriving campus that combines basic research institutes, universities and biotech companies.
Four research institutes collaborate in creating an exceptional training environment, where students and junior researchers have all the necessary resources to conduct meaningful projects: there is virtually no experiment that cannot be done at the VBC.
Our training programs are designed to prime and/or advance learning of critical skills, while supporting students and postdocs to become independent, critical and innovative thinkers, establish professional networks and ultimately move on to their next position
The programme aims to attract talented students from around the world, creating a vibrant and diverse atmosphere. It is the perfect preparation for those students who are interested in graduate study in the life sciences arena. Applicants who are successful are provided with accommodation, a travel allowance and a stipend for the duration of the scholarship.
The programme, starts on the last Friday in June and finishes on the the last Friday of August (or 31 August) each year.
The school is a collaboration between five of Europe’s leading research institutes:
- Research Center for Molecular Medicine (CEMM),
- Gregor Mendel Institute (GMI),
- Institute of Molecular Biotechnology (IMBA),
- Institute of Molecular Pathology (IMP) and
the Max Perutz Labs (Max Perutz Labs) and is generously sponsored by the Max Birnstiel Foundation
Benefits of Vienna Biocenter Undergraduate Scholarship
- Free student accommodation
- Each student will be awarded a stipend of 1400 euros after tax for the nine-week programme
- Medical insurance is included in the contract for the nine weeks
- A free travel pass providing unlimited use of public transport within Vienna for the duration of the scholarship
- Reimbursement of travel costs to and from Vienna
- Numerous social events
Vienna Biocenter Undergraduate Scholarship Courses
- Life Science
Requirements & Qualification
You need to be studying a degree in a Life Science related subject and have one of the following:
Completed at least 2 years of a University study (e.g. 2-3 years of a Bachelor (Hons) study or 1 year of a Master study – by 30 June) as follows:
- (i) In Year 3 of a 4-year BA (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in a Life Science related subject
- (ii) In Year 4 of a 4-year BA (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in a Life Science related subject WITH an acceptance or intention to apply to a Master program (this will be checked later)
- (iii) In Year 1 of a 2-year Master course, MSc in a Life Science related subject
- (iv) In Year 2 of a US undergraduate Bachelor in a Life Science related subject
- (v) In Year 2 of a 4-Year BTech (india) in a Life Science related subject
- 3-months research experience
- Good academic record
- High level of English language
- Evidence of enrolment in a University programme for the current academic year and the next year (if possible)
- Important information for MD applicants. MDs may only apply if they have completed 3-4years of their studies and have the relevant research experience, they must also intend to study a PhD in a Life Science related subject after completion of their current studies
- Call Opens 1 December closes 31 January (2359 CET)
- Results are published 15 March
- Summer School starts: 1 July (or last Friday in June)
- Summer School ends: 31 August (or last Friday in August)
Note: Dates are subject to change
- Please upload your enrolment certificate and transcript of studies and/or exam results for the last years of your course.
- You will also need to upload a proof of enrolment for the next academic year.
- If this is not possible, you should upload a personal statement with the programmes that you have/will apply for. A CV or cover letter are not required.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should,
Interested students should complete the online application form.
When applying applicants will be asked to specify the names of three lab heads in their order of preference.
While we cannot guarantee that an applicant will be assigned to one of these labs, we will make our best efforts to do so.
You will also be asked to detail your educational and research experience.
For More Information Visit, Vienna Biocenter website