ClimaTech is the global competition for tech-entrepreneurs and artists addressing the most pressing climate challenges. ClimaTech focuses on the use of information and communications technology in developing innovative solutions and new applications for climate action in the areas of agriculture.
Entrepreneurs are hammering out innovations in every corner of the world, and many projects show great promise in combating climate change.
Sensor technology can measure invisible pollutants that harm our health, and the rise of technologies such as the Internet-of-Things (IoT) provides advances in data collection for monitoring climate change mitigation.
ClimaTech Run’s tech-startup track provides global startups with the opportunity to pitch during COP27 in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, and participate in capacity building, incubation, and acceleration programs.
There will be 10 shortlisted candidates, a special grand prize of USD 100,000 and a top African startup prize of USD 50,000.
“>ClimaTech supports technologies such as:
- The use of AI in climate forecasting, e-agriculture, and satellite imagery analysis
- IoT and sensor-based applications (weather, soil, and water big data information processing)
- Smart cities applications lead to low carbon footprint and climate adapting economies
- Electric vehicles technologies
- E-waste management and recycling
- Industry 4.0 applications (consumption and waste optimization, quality enhancement)
- ICT applications in green and renewable energy
- Clean Water Technologies
Participants must see the following criteria to participate in the competition
- Registered startup operating for over 2 years or a proven track record
- Has a team of at least 2 members, with member’s average age below 40
- Sustainably driven and innovative business-supported by one or more emerging technologies
- Not a spin-off or subsidiary of an existing company
- Has a functional prototype or MVP (minimum viable product)
- The team must have good communication skills and can present their startup in English.
Prizes for this track are:
- Grand prize of USD 100,000
- 2nd prize of USD 50,000
- 3rd prize of USD 25,000
Special focus on Africa
As African countries face significant risk for a warmer, drier future, innovators and tech startups worldwide can use cutting-edge digital technologies to aid in climate mitigation and adaptation.
However, the market for climate tech in Africa is still vastly underserved.
Climate-focused African tech startups lag significantly in investment inflow, receiving only 0.2 per cent of venture dollars compared to 94 per cent for the United States, Canada, China, and Europe.
A special prize will be given to the top 2 African startups. The criteria for selection of African startups are the same as the worldwide track but adding that the founders must have a nationality from an African country.
The top 5 African startups will be invited to pitch their idea during the global pitch event.
- Top African Startup: USD 50,000
- 2nd prize for African Startup: USD 25,000
- Access to tailored support programs from ClimaTech Run Partners
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidate should