P.E.O. was founded on January 21, 1869, by seven students at Iowa Wesleyan College in Mount Pleasant, Iowa. This circle of kindred spirits – bonded by their enthusiasm for women’s opportunities – eventually expanded to include women off campus as well.
Through membership, the P.E.O. Sisterhood has brought together more than a half a million women in the United States and Canada who are passionate about helping women advance through education, while supporting and motivating them. Friendship is the cornerstone of P.E.O. – it is the legacy left by our Founders and it thrives in our unique Sisterhood. P.E.O. exists to be a source of encouragement and support for women to realize their potential in whatever worthwhile endeavor they choose. True to the mission of promoting educational opportunities for women, education continues to be the primary philanthropy of the P.E.O. Sisterhood. In fact, the P.E.O. Sisterhood proudly sponsors six international philanthropies, or projects, designed to assist women with their educational goals. As a result, P.E.O. is clearly making a difference in the lives of women all over the world. More than 109,000 women have benefited from our organization’s educational grants, loans, awards, special projects and stewardship of Cottey College.
As of April 2019, P.E.O. has awarded Educational Loan Fund dollars totaling more than $208.2 million, International Peace Scholarships are more than $40 million, Program for Continuing Education grants are more than $59.2 million, Scholar Awards are more than $26.7 million and P.E.O. STAR Scholarships are more than $10.7 million. In addition, P.E.O. has owned and supported Cottey College, an independent, baccalaureate-granting liberal arts and sciences institution, since 1927. In 2018-19, Cottey saw a 10 percent increase in new first-year students and over 70 percent of Cottey students had declared a 4-year major.
PEO International Peace Scholarship is a programme of Women helping women reach for the stars. The PEO International fund will provide scholarships for selected women from other countries for graduate study in the United States and Canada.
Members of P.E.O. believe that education is fundamental to world peace and understanding. The scholarship is based upon demonstrated need; however, the award is not intended to cover all academic or personal expenses.
Benefits of PEO International Peace Scholarship
- The maximum amount awarded to a student is $12,500. Lesser amounts may be awarded according to individual needs.
- The scholarship is based upon demonstrated financial need; however, the award is not intended to cover all academic or personal expenses. At the time of application, the applicant is required to confirm additional financial resources adequate to meet her estimated expenses. Additional resources may include personal and family funds, tuition waivers, work scholarships, teaching assistantships, study grants and other scholarships.
- Awards are announced in May. The amount of the PEO International scholarship will be divided into two payments to be distributed in August and December
Requirements & Qualification
- An applicant must be qualified for admission to full-time graduate study and working toward a graduate degree in an accredited college or university in the united States or canada.
- A student who is a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or Canada is not eligible.
- Scholarships are not given for research, internships, or practical training, unless it is combined with coursework. Awards are not to be used to pay past debts.
- In order to qualify for her first scholarship, an applicant must have a full year of coursework remaining, be enrolled and in residence for the entire school year.
- Doctoral students who have completed coursework and are working only on dissertations are not eligible as first-time applicants.
- international students attending cottey college are eligible to apply for a scholarship.
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should,
- Application closes: 15th December, 2021
- March 1, 2022: Last day to submit completed application materials from applicants already enrolled in the graduate program and school for which their scholarship is intended.
- April 1, 2022: Last day to submit completed application materials from applicants not yet enrolled in the graduate program or school for which the scholarship is intended. Last day to submit completed application materials for applicants who will be attending Cottey College