The spirit of our tradition lies in the hearts and minds of our community members, who are dedicated to the professional advancement and well-being of our students and alumni, and who strive to Champion What Matters, locally, nationally, and internationally.
Here at American University Washington College of Law, you meet the world where you will practice your profession.
The world has become essentially borderless, where economic, political, and social changes require innovative legal analysis and solutions. We equip our students in unique ways to navigate this new reality.
A top law school that provides an excellent legal education in all areas of the law, Washington College of Law has renowned programs in experiential learning (clinics and externships), international law, law and government, intellectual property, health law, business, and gender and the law. These vital programs create an environment rich with opportunities for you.
The Human Rights Essay Award is an annual competition sponsored by the Academy that seeks to stimulate the production of scholarly work in international human rights law.
The Academy will grant two Awards, one for the best article in English and one for the best article in Spanish.
The topic for 2022 is Climate Change and Human Rights: Impacts, Responsibilities, and Opportunities.
Benefits of AUWCL Human Rights Essay Award
The Award will consist of:
- A full scholarship to the Program of Advanced Studies on Human Rights and Humanitarian Law for either the Diploma or Certificate of Attendance options.
- Travel expenses to and from Washington D.C.
- Housing at the university dorms.
- Per diem for living expenses.
- The best articles may also be published in the American University International Law Review.
Requirements & Qualification
- Open to all lawyers around the world regardless of their nationality.
- Only participants with a law degree Juris Doctor, (J.D.), Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) or equivalent by the submission due date are eligible to enter the competition.
- Shall have a demonstrated experience or interest in international human rights law.
- Have the flexibility to choose any subject related to the 2022 topic: ¨Climate Change and Human Rights: Impacts, Responsibilities, and Opportunities. ¨
- Shall remember the essay must be an academic article with proper citations.
- Essays should be no longer than 35 pages
Required Documents For Application
- CV/resume in .doc or .pdf format (no more than three pages).
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should,