The Mandela Washington Fellowship for Young African Leaders is the flagship program of the U.S. Government’s Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI).
Since 2014, nearly 4,400 young leaders from every country in Sub-Saharan Africa have participated in the Fellowship. The Fellows, between the ages of 25 and 35, are accomplished leaders and have established records of promoting innovation and positive impact in their communities and countries. Each year, the Fellows participate in six-week Leadership Institutes, studying Business, Civic Engagement, or Public Management at U.S. colleges or universities. During their time on campus, Fellows connect with Americans and enrich local U.S. communities while sharing best practices. Learn more about Leadership Institutes.
Applications are open for the MWFAAN Beyond School Community Challenge for Secondary School Students in Nigeria 2021.
The Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni Association of Nigeria (MWFAAN) in collaboration with United States Mission Nigeria invites applications for this Challenge.
The Beyond School Community Challenge is a national social entrepreneurship competition that discovers, mentors, and funds indigenous solutions to critical community problems and needs identified by high school students selected from across the country.
It aims to engage young people creatively to develop entrepreneurial skills which will be marketable beyond the four walls of learning.
The BSCC provides a platform for outstanding secondary school students aged 13-18 to provide solutions to problems around their environment by creating community development projects. Guided by mentors and their schools, the students identify the challenge, proffer a viable entrepreneurial concept to address the challenge.
The Challenge identifies top finalists annually from the pool of applications received across Nigeria, where top finalists selected are invited to pitch and exhibit their entrepreneurial ideas. The #BSCChallenge2021 will be virtual for participating schools
Benefits of MWFAAN Beyond School Community Challenge
Cash grant prize of N1.5M will be shared amongst the winners as follows:
- Top 3 Winning Project Grant:
- All 30 Students will share N300,000, that is, N10,000 each
- Best Teacher Award: N100,000
- Other 2 teachers: N50,000 each
Requirements & Qualification
- Applicants must be a team of 4 consisting of 3 young people between the ages of 13-18 years and a Teacher/Mentor, aged 20 years and above.
- All Teams, schools or Educational Institutions must be based in Nigeria.
- Applicants must have access to strong and reliable internet.
- Applicants must be willing to grant both print and electronic media interviews if selected
How To Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should,
- Applications would be received by Teams via e-forms on the MWFAAN website to promote inclusiveness for both schools and other educational institutions.
- The application would be basically judged within the ambit of the listed categories.
- Top 10 Teams/Applications would be selected by the review selection committee for further review. To ascertain the authenticity of every application process, there shall be coordinated live interview sessions for every team shortlisted for the challenge.
For More Information, Download COMPETITION BRIEF & Visit MWFAAN Website.