Sharing Is Caring

Cour D’Appel De Cotonou, Benin Republic has ordered the release Ropo, the wife of Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho.


The court ordered her release after a hearing on Thursday.


However, Igboho was returned to the custody of Brigade Criminelle in Cotonou, Benin Republic.


This is as the court adjourned the case involving the Yoruba rights activist till Friday, July 23, 2021.


Igboho and his wife, Ropo, were arrested at the Cardinal Bernardin International Airport, Cotonou while trying to catch a flight to Germany.


The PUNCH was told that Ropo was released after the court found out that she was not guilty.


“Yes, she has been released,” National Chairman of Ilana Omo Oodua, Prof Wale Adeniran, said while confirming her release to The PUNCH.


After the hearing, the government lawyer didn’t address journalists.


Ìgbòho’s lawyer, Yomi Aliyu (SAN), explained that “this is not the best time to say anything on the case”.


He expressed optimism that things would turn out for good.


Earlier report reveal that the DSS on February 26, 2021, attempted to arrest Igboho along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway when the activist and his supporters were on their way to meet with the 93-year-old Afenifere chieftain, Ayo Adebanjo, but pandemonium broke out and the DSS was unable to arrest him.


However, the secret police raided Igboho’s residence in the Soka area of Ibadan on July 1, 2021, arrested at least 12 of his associates and killed two others during the bloody raid.


Igboho escaped the raid and the secret police subsequently declared him wanted for allegedly stockpiling arms to destabilise Nigeria under the pretext of the Yoruba nation agitation, but Igboho denied the allegation.


The activist, who went underground, was, however, apprehended by Interpol at the Cadjèhoun Airport in Cotonou, Benin Republic on Monday night.


Recall that many supporters of Sunday Igboho were at the court to witness the hearing.


Some of the supporters, who did not know when the Yoruba rights activist arrived in court, rushed into the courtroom to see him.


However, they were later sent out when the court proceedings started.

Leave a Reply