Nigerians have expressed outrage after Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu addressed Lagosians on Live TV on Wednesday morning and claimed that no live was lost in the Massacre at Lekki Toll Gate on Tuesday night.
The Governor had earlier in the morning blamed the attack by soldiers on unarmed protesters on “forces beyond our direct control”.
However, while speaking on live broadcast, Sanwo-Olu condemned the attack on #ENDSARS protesters by security forces.
He also announced suspension of all state activities for three days in solidarity with the ongoing #ENDSARS protests and agitations across the state.
He stated the flag at all government facilities will be flown half- mast in the next three days.
Sanwo-Olu also said that he went out all night with members of his team and they visited hospitals, mortuaries to get first hand information on casualties
The governor said 24 of the injured were being treated at three hospitals- General Hospital (10); Reddington Hospitals (eight) and another hospital (six) adding that three of the victims had surgery and about four would be discharged today.
Appealing for calm, Sanwo-Olu apologised to the youths, reiterating their anger was justified.
However, Nigerians have taken to social media to call the governor a liar for denying the deaths recorded.
Radio broadcaster, Sandra Ezekwesili reminded the governor that one victim actually died on Instagram Live.
Watch videos of the live broadcast and see reactions below.
This is the toughest night of our lives as forces beyond our direct control have moved to make dark notes in our history, but we will face it and come out stronger.
I’ve just concluded visits to hospitals with victims of this unfortunate shooting incident at Lekki . pic.twitter.com/r5idAn9Pxw
— Babajide Sanwo-Olu (@jidesanwoolu) October 21, 2020
Nigerians blast Sanwo Olu for saying no one died at Lekki Toll Gate
JUST IN: The Ngeria’s Army r now killing survivors at lagos hospitals causing the nurses and doctors to run for their lives. This is just too much #LekkiMassacre #LekkiGenocidepic.twitter.com/e4judXkPCb
— Dr Toolz #EndSWAT (@toolzdeyforyou) October 21, 2020